Thursday, September 25, 2008

Off to the Races

Cross Country day again. It's beautiful here today which should make for a nice temperature to race in - only expected to be mid 80's. We've had a busy, busy couple of weeks. The backyard is dug up and sand laid out ready for concrete to be poured for our enlarged patio. I mowed almost the entire 8 acres last Friday and Saturday. Nearly killed me when my allergies caught up with me from the grass pollen.

Ok, so here's a funny...I realized today how much of a mom I am and how much our house is child friendly. For example, I go to step into the shower and nearly trip on the little cars in the bottom of our shower. Why are they there you ask? Well, we have a very nice tile and glass shower and it's very big. The boys love to take showers but what they love best is to play in the bottom of the shower so they bring in toys. Once I am out of my shower I dry off and glance into the tub. Yep, more toys. Now they have their own bathroom but our tub is huge and jetted so they like to take a bath in our tub once and a while with the jets and of course, more toys. If you looked at my bathroom counter you'll find a variety of lotions, soap, toothbrushes and 2 robots - one red and one white. Step out into my bedroom and on the nightstand you'll find my journal, bible, devotionals, cd player and assorted Eric Carle books for the snuggle time. My fridge is covered with drawings from the boys. There are little shoes all lined up on the shoe rack.

The little things don't go away as they get older though. Ky has a surprising amount of "stuff" around. MP3 charger next to the computer, shoes, sweatshirt on back of chair. Don't get me wrong, the boys do clean up and put their things away but when it's busy, it's refreshing to see how much they love to be "at home" by bringing out and leaving out all the treasures. Each evening and at least once each morning I "sweep" the house picking up this and that and depositing it to the correct room - not because they are lazy and won't but because I realize that very soon at least one of my birds will fly away and I won't be able to touch his sweatshirts and inhale his individual smell. The days of cars on the floor under the table will pass sooner than I want. I love being Mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need to focus on things like this! Especially on the days where I can hardly get *my* stuff picked up because I am tripping over theirs...
What a great reminder this was for me tonight.