Monday, February 28, 2011

Opening the clenched fist by grace

Those who have read the blog since inception know that we've had a few challenging years here at Camp Cardwell.  Our obedience to God brought us to our "Promised Land" here in Oklahoma City and we felt blessed.  Blessed indeed...with a surprise baby boy born May 2010 - 18 years younger than our oldest.  Blessed indeed...with beautiful acreage and wonderful neighbors.  Blessed indeed...with Ron's layoff and removal of a large chunk of our income.  Pause.  Yes, you read that right.  Blessed. 

Why on earth would I consider our sole provider losing our only source of income as a blessing?  Have I lost my mind?  Though grateful for his re-emergence into work society with a $40K paycut, shouldn't I be just a bit "ticked"?  I suppose part of me would like to be but every time I've tried to feel angry God has spoken words of wisdom and growth.  Instead of anger I find peace. 

We had to be knocked to the ground to be humbled enough to do what we otherwise wouldn't have.  Go on a budget...a tight one.  Rely completely on God for provision...instead of our own ingenuity.  Now after some long conversations and prayer it is time for me to emerge back into the workforce.  We have a full time sitter for Evan since my mom is now here and has volunteered...for free, bless her heart but you know we'll still keep giving her nice things.  We looked at the budget and decided a number that we felt we should pray for as income for me.  Off I went to the web, armed with a killer resume, a few cover letters and a prayer before each submission to make sure that I was following the Lord's guidance. 

Friday I submitted for an underwriting position with OECU (Oklahoma Employees Credit Union).  Their response was "here take this big ol' test on the computer."  At first it appeared to be yet another silly personality styles test but after completion of those areas there was a math and vocabulary section.  Um, it's a good thing I paid attention in school and like algebra because this wasn't your basic 1+1=2 sort of test.  Finished the test (without the aid of calculator or dictionary as instructed) and sent a message to them.  10 minutes later...phone call, which I missed.  Today I spoke with Dusty and though they have filled the underwriter position they really want me to consider a position as a branch loan officer for mortgages.  STOP.  If you know me, you know I don't do the "schmoozy" thing with agents and I don't cold call random people on a list.  My mind sent up a "are you kiddin' me Lord?" to which I received a "Be still and listen".  Dusty further described the position - no need for realtor ties, no need for cold calling...it's just serving bank customers on their home loan needs from start to finish.  Ok, I CAN do that.  I love to help people achieve their homeownership dreams.  I interview tomorrow at 2 pm.

Now, why share all that?  Here's why.  When Ron lost his job we cashed out every bit of stock and investment funds we had to simply survive.  Timely enough our church was doing a Dave Ramsey class which we attended and learned from.  Ron found a job with a huge pay cut.Thank you Lord for the job.  We had tried the route of me working for 3 months - we paid so much in daycare that there was only $100 left over.  That wasn't a benefit so I stayed home again. We immediately contacted all creditors.  They were shocked that we were so proactive and "Yes, Mrs. Cardwell, we can modify your account to meet the new income your husband makes."  Thank you Lord for meeting the exact amount that we had left over to pay debt...I'm talking within $5 per month.

Today, I asked what the salary range was for the position at OECU.  When I calculated 75% of the low end of the range it was exactly what we had calculated we needed for me to work.  The likelihood of me being at the low end is pretty slim given the vast experience I have.  God provided our minimum and then some.  In addition, the office is within 2 miles of Ron's work....we can carpool some days to save on gas.  Plus, there are bonuses.  Thank you Lord for giving me opportunities beyond my requests.

It doesn't matter if I get this job or not...I am so excited to tell you that God provides.  I recently shared with a friend that we were not giving our full 10% tithe but only what we could do and that I was afraid to "just do it".  She shared her story with me and encouraged me to get out there and use our tax return to "catch up" our tithe, ask for forgiveness and commit to obedience.  We prayed.  We asked forgiveness.  We caught up.  That was a week ago.  This week I have an interview with more than what I asked for in income.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Go out there and trust God.  Give him your very best.  Give him your first fruits.  Never be afraid to take the chance.  He's faithful, so very faithful! 

"Bring your full tithe to the Temple treasury so there will be ample provisions in my Temple. Test me in this and see if I don't open up heaven itself to you and pour out blessings beyond your wildest dreams. For my part, I will defend you against marauders, protect your wheat fields and vegetable gardens against plunderers." Malachi 3:8

2 comments:

3RMama said...

Love God's Faithfulness!!!! And yours!

The Daileys said...

Remember this? God is faithful... I miss your bloggy self. Write again!!!