Thursday, March 11, 2010

Heritage

I've been participating in a Beth Moore bible study - Believing God. Great study. The premise is that so many of us believe IN God but do we actually BELIEVE God and that He is and does all that He says He can. I know that I have the tendency to "humanize" God in my own mind and attribute "human" traits to them - it's not that I forget He is omnipotent and omnipresent but I forget to rely on His powers to hold me up and guide me. I fall into the "me do it" nature that my 3 year old has. That however, is not what I desire to write about today.

In yesterday's message Beth talked about Heritage. She pointed out that if you've ever known an Orthodox Jewish family then you know that they are steeped in their tradition and heritage. Children just "know" their heritage, beliefs and background because their parents, grandparents and community of believers teach the heritage and tradition in everything they do. It is hard for their children to leave those beliefs because they are just so ingrained into every fiber of their being. She says she's just a bit jealous of that...I think I am too. I know my background. I know my history. I know my own story of salvation. My children don't. Oh, they know God but I suspect I've been teaching "fire insurance". I don't think they really know that the most important thing is God's love and if they miss out on that point...they'll miss it. Without the love...it's all just law. Thankfully our God is the God of second (and third and fourth, etc) chances. I want them to KNOW their Heritage and be so ready for God to work in and through them that they can't stand it. I want them to be crazy in love with Jesus. I want them to know that they are heirs to the throne and the spiritual seed of Abraham. Who am I kidding? I want that for myself - such a deep knowledge that my Heritage is in every promise of the covenant cut by Christ's blood.

The Old Testament is filled with moments when a memorial stone was set up - the original word used means "stood on end". Those stones were "set up" so that when their children would ask, the people of Israel could share the story of how God led them through. We are to be living stones (1 Peter 2:4-5). We are spiritual graffiti as Beth puts it. We announce "Jesus was here" - or at least we are called to do so. I endeavor to fight for my children's Heritage. I want to be writing the message of our spiritual inheritance - our Heritage in God's covenant - on my heart, on my home, in my car, in my daily actions, in the tone of my voice, in what I read, in what I watch, in every choice I make so that my children's knowledge in their Heritage will be ingrained into every fiber of their being. My children will have such strong armor that Satan's boots will shake when they get up every morning. I want them to have their hands out and up to accept each and every blessing that God wants to pour into their lives. It's time walk out in faith and quit sitting in the middle of the road - I know the direction God is calling me to. I am His servant and responsible for teaching the next generation. He's helped me thus far and will continue day by day to guide my steps until I reach the goal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our pastor preached on this heritage issue last month!
The sermon is up on her blog, http://standrew-pres.org/pastor2blog/?p=44
Those who have a journey of faith that started when they were babies, the so-called cradle Christians, have a "Paul Problem" -- we have no specific instance to point to in our lives. Rather, it is more like a long journey (or hopefully, as we become teens and adults, we can see it as a marathon, much like Paul describes when writing about running the good race).
Our children are blessed to be raised up in the way they should go, but we also have to let go and trust as they step out on their own. It is likely that they will question their faith. If we have taught them only law, they will come up empty. If, as you wrote so succinctly, we help them understand that God's love is the most important thing, they will always know how to come home.
Timely stuff as we prepare to send our first-born sons out into the world!
My friend Mrs. G has raised her kids to respect others and has taught them how to search for themselves. Her college-age daughter has written a beautiful essay on her own search for the one true God.

Unknown said...

Ah, Karen - I get the Paul Problem but you can look back through your life and point out exact instances when God was directly present and with you. I was a cradle Christian, went astray and came back home because I KNEW something was missing. You are right though about the timing...only 2.5 months to go. Whew!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cardwells!

I am a friend of Ron's from High School. I just want to say that I am so proud of your family. It looks like you are growing in the areas of your lives that are most important (I'm right with you!). My kids are 18, almost 21, 22, and 24 and are all on fire. There is something in the air these days! :-)

Also, I LOVE Beth Moore. She totally brings things out of the word that you would never get just from reading yourself.

Anyway, I'm at work and just finishing up my lunch. But, wanted to say I'm very proud and my heart is warm when I read how you guys are doing!

God is good all the time ~ even when we aren't!! (So glad for that).

Take care,
Lori (Shuler) McLeod