Sunday, October 11, 2009

Life's Volcanoes

Ever been to Hawaii? The big island is beautiful. It's so lush and green and yet some areas are just black volcanic ground. We visited the big island in February 2003. One of our favorite excursions was to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. We went at dusk and drove down the Chain of Craters road to the ocean. As we started our hike we noticed a sign that said "New land flow September 2002". We were walking on ground that had come from the volcano, been cooled by the ocean and was now a new part of the island. That's pretty awesome. One of the rangers informed us that they had lost 100 acres of unstable new land into the ocean the month before. God giveth and God taketh away was my first thought.

Hot lava pouring into a cold ocean produces a large plume of steam which is spectacular by day and breath-taking by night. Imagine...all that mixing of hot molten earth with cold water to create a place that seeds will eventually land on and will flourish. Creation from chaos and destruction.

Isn't that just like God? He takes our heavy earthly burdens and tries them by fire. He pours our circumstances out into a cold world and creates a landing place for new growth and life! He trims away our unstable parts to make way for the new land. In the end, when the race is run we become beautiful, lush islands teeming with life.

Praying for abundance and life from your volcanoes.

But forget all that— it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland. The wild animals in the fields will thank me, the jackals and owls, too, for giving them water in the desert. Yes, I will make rivers in the dry wasteland so my chosen people can be refreshed.~Isaiah 43:18-20

1 comment:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Your insights continue to amaze me, Jacci. ♥